Monday, February 7, 2011

To own or not to own?

We have been debating lately about buying a house.  It is a superbly hard decision for us and I've had a mental list of pros and cons that I can now put down on paper (screen) pretty confidently.



Pros about buying a house:
1. Not dealing with landlords, as all the rules are annoying
2. Having more space and being able to alter it
3. More space for pets and we'd like another dog
4. Additional bedrooms, larger kitchen, etc.  
5. Being able to live in Vinings, where we would like to settle if we stay in Atlanta

Cons:
1. We would really not have extra money for traveling (at all) because we are both going back to school, paying off one new car and need another one after that's done, and need to pay for other grown up things, like dental work
2. Having to pay for all the extras - taxes, insurance, any renovations, maintenance and upkeep, etc. - in this regard, renting is great
3. Did I mention no traveling?  Yuck.
4. My biggest concern - my gut really doesn't feel like Atlanta is our forever home, so I don't think we should buy here and be tied to a house that we may not be able to sell, or may not be willing to lose money on.


I don't know where we'll end up, but because Atlanta doesn't FEEL like our permanent home, I just can't get past Con #4.  After a discussion about it, I think we're going to hold off and move into a nicer rental.  Sure, it will cost more and we'll be traveling less (rent is cheap now and allows us to save extra dough), but we won't be tied to the city and we may be able to move on if we need to.  


I wonder why Atlanta doesn't feel like "it" to me...I don't know for sure of another place that feels like "it" - but I want to find it.

So, for now, no house buying for us, and I feel perfectly OK with that.


1 comment:

  1. I think it's good that you're going to hold out for a little while since you're not sure if you'll stay in Atlanta. Have you looked into renting a condo? It may feel more like a house, and less neighbor noise.

    ReplyDelete